R&D AND DESIGN
The main tasks of the All-Union Research and Development Center for Transport Technology in the design of freight cars, bogies and components are as follows:
- design of a broad range of freight cars: universal and specialized gondola cars; hopper cars for grain and foodstuffs, mineral fertilizers and construction goods; universal platforms and specialized platforms for timber, containers and machinery; tank cars for petroleum products, liquefied gases and chemical products; and universal and specialized covered cars;
- design of standard-sized cars for efficient transportation of existing and potential future cargo types;
- creation of cars (Tс and Tpr dimensions) with increased load capacity per unit length;
- design and improvement of two-axle bogies with axial loads of 25 and 27 tf, and of three- and four-axle bogies;
- developments to increase cars’ between-repairs run and decrease timeframes between maintenance, reduce the time and complexity of repair;
- reduction of consumption of materials and cost of production using new materials, innovative design solutions, and new or improved manufacturing technologies;
- increase of resistance to the corrosive and chemical impact of transported cargoes, reduction of operational wear and tear;
- reduction of time required and maximizing convenience in loading and unloading operations.
More than 60 projects for new freight cars, bogies and components are currently at various stages of development, with target dates for manufacturing launch in 2014-2016.